For More Information Contact
Diane Perchetti – Tonopah Convention Center
301 Brougher Ave
P.O. Box 408
Tonopah, Nevada 89049
Ph: (775) 482-3558
Fax: (775) 482-3932
send us an email
Convention Center Rates
USS Tonopah Bell on display at the Convention Center.
Built by the Bath Iron Works, this double turreted monitor was contracted as the U.S.S. Connecticut but while under construction was renamed the U.S.S. Nevada. On March 2, 1909 she became known as the U.S.S. Tonopah.The submarine tender served periodically as Lt. Chester W. Nimitz’s (later Fleet Admiral Nimitz) flagship when he was Commander of the Atlantic Submarine Flotilla from May 20, 1912 to March 30, 1913. Tonopah operated along the east coast from Massachusetts to Key West until January of 1918. Later she served in the strategic area of the Azores. Tonopah was decommissioned July 1, 1920 and sold January 26, 1922.
Special thanks to Rod & Cindy McAfee for donating a framed photo of the USS Tonopah that was accepted by the Town Board at the December 10, 2014 board meeting and will be on display with the Bell.